The last two years has been challenging, especially for brides-to-be. If you’re one of the thousands of brides whose weddings have been postponed or canceled entirely due to quarantine, you know how hard it can be to have to put your milestone plans on hold. However, new hope is on the horizon as planning resumes for in-person ceremonies and micro-weddings.
No matter what kind of wedding you choose, you’ll want to be looking and feeling your best. And we have you covered with all of the best bridal shapewear secrets to making your wedding day look flawless and fabulous. Follow our guide for all of the best wedding tips and tricks!
Your Best Bridal Bra Tips
- Nothing ruins a perfect wedding dress bra more than having your so-called skin-toned undergarment play peek-a-boo. To prevent this, make sure your bra matches your wedding gown color, NOT your skin tone!
- Want to make sure the bra you like actually fits well? Try sliding two fingers underneath the band on its loosest hook, if it slides through while still holding your bust in place, then it’s the bra for you.
- For the ultimate in wedding day comfort and confidence, we recommend having your bra sewn into your gown. Yes, really! It’s a simple, quick job that most tailors have done a million times, and it can mean the difference between fussing with a bra all night and feeling totally carefree on the dance floor.
Wedding Dress Fabric Matters
Some fabrics are more forgiving than others. Heavier silks and textured fabrics add structure, while others come with a slip or built-in corset for extra support.
Lighter fabrics such as silk (or silk-adjacent) fabrics can be almost transparent, and tend to show every little detail under the dress, including the dreaded visible panty line. So, bridal shapewear is a definite must-have for any type of sheer or light-weight fabric.
Choosing What Goes Under Your Dress
Do you prefer not to wear shapewear on your wedding day? We recommend opting for a princess-style gown with lots of layers that still leave you feeling supported and comfortable. For mermaids, sheaths, trumpet and most other wedding gown styles, you’ll likely want a little smoothing underneath to polish off your look. If you’re wearing a backless or halter-style gown, try wearing lingerie’s most innovative item: adhesive bra cups. The days of duct-taping your girls in place are long gone!
For the streamlined look you are going for, you'll need seamless shapewear. Seamless undergarments sit perfectly flat on your body, hugging your every curve without digging into your skin. Nylon, spandex, microfibers and fine mesh are the best fabrics for a no-show look.
When Should You Buy Wedding Shapewear?
Believe it or not, the right time to buy shapewear for your wedding gown is NOT right after choosing your dress. The best time is after your first or second dress fitting, since that gives you the time to see what types of undergarments might look best under your dress, taking style, fabric, and body type into account.
So... which bridal shapewear should you choose for your special day?
1. If Your Dress is Clingy and Form-fitting
Does your dress hug your curves? Your best choice is high waist compression underwear that will gently tuck your tummy and smooth your curves, giving you a va-va-voom silhouette.
If you are wearing a dreamy slip gown, then you will have to deal with more of a silky fabric that tends to cling. This type of dress is all about creating a streamlined look by wearing seamless shapewear. We just love butt lifter shorts for these kinds of dresses, especially if they have a tummy compressing panel that is completely invisible under the sheer, silky fabric.
Avoid shapers with seams or steel bones down the center to avoid any awkward looks. Trust us on this one!
2. If Your Dress Fits Snugly Around Your Upper Body
In this case look for shapewear that is lightweight and flexible. It should move with your body and not constrict it.
If you are looking for allover compression under your slip, try the Curveez Second Skin Hip Hugger Bodysuit - its low profile will be completely invisible under even the sheerest of dresses. Or try the Shapermint Essentials Open Bust Bodysuit Shaper Panty, which will give you a streamlined look from top to bottom, making you feel and look your best.
3. If Your Dress is Extremely Form-fitting Around the Hips and Thighs
Look for shapewear that’ll smooth everything out and free your mind from cellulite insecurities, creating the illusion of a smoother silhouette. The key here is finding shapewear that will target the lower body, giving you the peace of mind you deserve on your big day (and every day, for that matter!).
One great option for this dress style is the Curveez Signature Control High Waist Boyshort.
4. If Your Dress is a Bonafide Bodycon Dress
For this trendy look, wedding dress shapewear plays a key role in smoothing under your dress, as it helps the dress slide over the entire body, contouring and accentuating your every curve. If you find that your dress isn’t embracing your body as you wish, then add an extra layer of shapewear under the dress. Our favorite here is the Curveez® Ultra Shaping Hip Hugger Bodysuit.
5. If Your Dress Already Has a Corset Built-in
Good news! If you're wearing a corset dress, there's no need to double up with another corset. If you are looking for a little more oomph in your chest, then ask your tailor to add in some push-up cups into the dress.
This dress style is about looking great and embracing your body - so have some fun with the lower part of the dress. Wear a high-waist brief or a shaping thong for a more lifted look and feel.
Wedding Shapewear Cheat Sheet
All the tips you need to find the perfect wedding day shapewear:
- Choosing the right bridal undergarment depends on your body type, dress style, and fabric.
- We highly recommend wearing seamless garments or shorts, which are smoothing without being constrictive.
- Overall, when it comes to shapewear color, remember to match the shade of your dress rather than your skin tone.
- Be sure to bring more than your dress to your final fitting at your tailor - take along your shoes and shapewear. Once you have all of the pieces in place, you will finally be able to envision your wedding day.
- Accessories, including a veil (if you are using one), will help you to see if everything balances out together.
Share this cheat sheet on social media:
Wearing your shoes and wedding undergarments to the final fitting will ensure that everything fits properly and that the length hits exactly where you want it. If you can’t bring your bridal shapewear with you, make sure you can at least bring something similar in compression.
Above all, remember this: by modifying or postponing your wedding, you’re contributing to the public health of everyone around you during these unprecedented times. It’s incredibly hard to have to change your wedding plans, but whenever you do end up celebrating your love and kick-starting your happily ever after, we hope these tips will help you feel more comfortable and confident in the dress of your dreams.
Are you a 2020 bride whose wedding plans have been derailed? How are you handling all the changes thrown at you? Let us know in the comments below!